Location: Cambridge MA
Cambridge, MA-based H3 Biomedicine (H3B) is a leading company in cancer genomics driven drug discovery, delivering on the promise of precision medicine. The company was launched in 2011 with an unprecedented $200 million in initial funding from Eisai, plus a continued ongoing commitment to fund H3B’s robust discovery pipeline and clinical programs. Now with three clinical stage anti-cancer molecules in active development, H3B is able to uniquely leverage distinct insights from cancer genomics and real-life patient data to advance its projects to clinical proof of concept and beyond. H3B embraces a novel business model in which it collaborates with Eisai, a leading global pharmaceutical company, to create a prolific drug discovery engine and partnership platform.
The ideal candidate is highly motivated and possesses a Ph.D. with 0-3 year’s industrial experience in medicinal/synthetic organic chemistry or a M.S. with more than 5 years of industrial experience in medicinal chemistry. He/She is independent, motivated and experimentally skilled with a strong track record of lab results and interest in designing and synthesizing compounds. Primarily lab-based, he/she independently contributes to lead generation and the creation of a unique compound collection through traditional and parallel synthesis to optimize hits and lead series toward a drug candidate. He/she should have strong communication skills, an eagerness to learn, and ability to work well in teams.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Design new and/or independently extend existing synthetic routes for compounds as required.
- Independently execute syntheses of target compounds.
- Characterize synthesized compounds as to composition and purity.
- Devise and communicate working models to explain research results in program context.
- Contribute to the preparation and submission of patents, scientific publications &/or regulatory documents.
- Maintain high standards of laboratory safety, comply with H3 safety manual, and complete required training.
- Understand and apply knowledge of the chemical and biological issues affecting the project.
- Learn, acquire, and apply new experimental techniques; contribute new ideas to the project team.
- Provide conceptual contributions toward project advancement.
- Communicate and relate research results within project context.
- Communicate research results to supervisor in an appropriate, accurate and timely manner.
- Participate in research group, project meetings, and planning/recruitment of research staff.
- Maintain an accurate and current record of experimental results in an electronic laboratory notebook.
- Anticipate needs and plan for the purchase, use, and maintenance of laboratory equipment.
- Utilize training and resources (external and internal) to stay current in chemistry.
- Maintain laboratory equipment, and train others in its use.
- Ph.D. in organic chemistry with 0-3 years of industrial experience in medicinal/synthetic organic chemistry or M.S. in Chemistry with 5+ years of industrial experience in medicinal chemistry.
- Strong technical or experimental expertise and demonstrated ability to:
- Independently identify and solve significant problems.
- Independently plan work over extended periods of time to optimize laboratory productivity.
- Independently design efficient and well-controlled experiments.
- Communicate effectively across disciplines.
- Evaluate and prioritize research efforts within broader team objectives.
- Work with minimal supervision and simultaneously balance multiple tasks.
- Show initiative to expand scope and depth of technical competence.
- Act as technical resource in a defined area.
- Independently plan work to support team and project objectives.
- Work together with other members of a project team to accomplish team objectives.
- Generalize experimental design and clearly communicate ideas and research results.
About H3 Biomedicine Inc.
H3 Biomedicine Inc. is a privately-held, uniquely-structured oncology discovery enterprise whose sole mission is to become a prolific source of new drugs that treat more human cancers with greater success. H3 Biomedicine is applying the expertise of leading scientists to the integration of insights from cancer genomics with innovative capabilities in synthetic chemistry and tumor biology to pursue the most promising current opportunity in cancer therapeutics: patient-based, genomics-driven, small molecule drugs.