Location: Cambridge MA
Cambridge, MA-based H3 Biomedicine (H3B) is a leading company in cancer genomics driven drug discovery, delivering on the promise of precision medicine. The company was launched in 2011 with an unprecedented $200 million in initial funding from Eisai, plus a continued ongoing commitment to fund H3B’s robust discovery pipeline and clinical programs. Now with three clinical stage anti-cancer molecules in active development, H3B is able to uniquely leverage distinct insights from cancer genomics and real-life patient data to advance its projects to clinical proof of concept and beyond. H3B embraces a novel business model in which it collaborates with Eisai, a leading global pharmaceutical company, to create a prolific drug discovery engine and partnership platform.
The Director/Sr. Director of Planning & Operations provides leadership for operational support across all business activities at H3 Biomedicine including Biology, Chemistry, Clinical Development and Administration. The primary objectives of this position are to achieve and maintain efficient, safe, legally compliant, cost-effective operations at H3 advancing research and development productivity.
Important for this role are a working knowledge and appreciation of pharmaceutical research and development strategies and processes, laboratory operations, regulatory requirements, strategic business planning, budgeting and resource management. Successful outcomes will be achieved through effective collaboration and partnership across all levels at H3, leveraging experience in research and business operations to provide input and guidance regarding program resourcing and business operations.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Basic Operations – Lead a team of 4 – 6 to support facility planning, operation and maintenance, EH&S, inventory control, purchasing, receiving and supply, general lab/scientific support.
- Ensure alignment of operations team with corporate objectives.
- Resource Management - Collaborate with R&D, Finance and HR to manage financial and human resources including:
- Development and management of the discovery research budget including tracking budget vs actuals, directing review and approval processes for external scientific services and providing resource guidance to R&D leadership.
- Participation in R&D prioritization discussions.
- Definition and maintenance of budget for facility operations in alignment with H3’s business plans.
- Generate operational efficiencies and cost savings through vendor management and new procurement strategies.
- Capital Planning – Develop and implement facility and scientific equipment investment plans that support achievement of corporate objectives.
- Manage facility capital projects from concept to completion including programming, design, bidding, and construction to successful completion.
- Space Planning - Develop and maintain strategic space utilization plans to ensure optimal business efficiency and flexibility.
- Business Management Systems - Collaborate with IT to develop and implement new tools to drive efficiencies including contract management, purchasing, budget tracking, chemical inventory and lab supply tracking.
- Safety - Ensure compliance with lab safety rules and regulations; serve as point of contact with applicable regulatory agencies.
- Develop/maintain internal safety guidelines and procedures.
- Coordinate and deliver appropriate training.
- Efficiency - Proactively identify opportunities across the organization to streamline existing processes/operations; implement agreed upon solutions.
- Corporate Communications – Develop effective corporate communication strategies to build, promote and maintain a positive corporate brand for the H3 organization.
- Functional Expertise/Experience:
- In-depth knowledge and broad understanding of research operations management and relevant technologies.
- Successful record of managing complex research operations.
- Effective cross-functional leadership as demonstrated by line/project management or multi-disciplinary program management.
- Collaborative leadership style facilitating communication and alignment.
- Effective change agent promoting alignment and implementing coordinated transitions while maintaining performance.
- Proactively identifies and critically analyzes problems affecting operations.
- Develops practical, sustainable solutions to cross-program, cross-functional operational or organizational issues.
- Degree in a relevant field such as Finance or Project/Operations Management, Business administration with a minimum of 5 years of experience in directing laboratory operations and managing multiple projects, budgets, and timelines in pharma, or biotech.
About H3 Biomedicine Inc.
H3 Biomedicine Inc. is a privately-held, uniquely-structured oncology discovery enterprise whose sole mission is to become a prolific source of new drugs that treat more human cancers with greater success. H3 Biomedicine is applying the expertise of leading scientists to the integration of insights from cancer genomics with innovative capabilities in synthetic chemistry and tumor biology to pursue the most promising current opportunity in cancer therapeutics: patient-based, genomics-driven, small molecule drugs.